April 24, 2011

Ice Candy!

It was Good Friday a couple of days ago, and we had this routine or sort of a tradition with my high school buddies to hike up the mountain rooted down from Barangay Purisima, Palo, Leyte and when we reach the cross at the peak, we will light up candles and offer prayers to the Almighty. 

Encircling the twenty-foot cross are small shops with merchants selling food and beverages for pilgrims who are tired and hungry from all the hiking. There are also peddlers selling candles, mineral water and the cool one - Ice Candy. Way back into my childhood and until now, I love Ice Candy, even if this in many cases causes me soar throat even coughs and colds. I just love the sweet, creamy, and fruity flavor of this treat. Technically, Ice candy is a frozen fruit juice or shake placed in little ice bags for one to nibble at the end of the plastic ice bag to sip or munch it out.

I experienced making these because my aunt sold these to our neighbors. My favorite flavors are mango, avocado, coconut, and mung beans. Most merchants today add tapioca (sago) pearls to add distinct and unique texture as you munch on this frozen treat. Instead of just mixing milk and the fruit pulp, the mixture is made into a shake, then it is frozen for about three to four hours giving it an ice cream-like texture. I like this kind of ice candy, but in order to keep our Filipino roots alive, I prefer the classic way of making these. 

I'll be using my aunt's recipe for the Mango Ice Candy, and the ingredients are,
1. Thinly sliced mangoes
2. Evaporated milk
3. Sugar
4. Water

To make one is as simple as eating one,
1. Slice mangoes thinly, julienne cut to be exact.
2. In a bowl, mix together milk, water, sugar, and the mangoes.
3. With the use of a funnel or if you're really skilled enough, transfer parts of the mixture into the ice candy bags.
4. Freeze the ice candy for about six or so hours.
5. Enjoy!

Related Articles

0 comments:

Popular Posts